These instructions are for applying for course credit related to independent research study within the Neuroscience major. A faculty member must agree to supervise your research before you can apply for course credit.
Prerequisite: Must be a NEUR major. Track would be based on the home department of Principal Investigator when CMNS or BSOS. For other departments, colleges or institutes, the track would be based on the content of the research.
- 3 credits (can be over the course of multiple semesters) in the same lab can count towards one NEUR track elective course and towards 15 credit advanced elective credit.
- A maximum of up to 3 credits per semester and 12 credits total of NEUR379 can be earned.
- Complete at least 3 credits of NEUR379 within the same lab (can be taken over multiple semesters).
- NEUR479 must be completed in the same lab where a minimum of 3 NEUR379 credits were earned.
- BSCI399 or BSCI399H or PSYC479 may be substituted for NEUR379 with permission
- A maximum of up to 3 credits per semester and 12 credits total ma be earned
- Can count as an NEUR Advanced Program Lab (but not as a track course), with a minimum of 3 credits and submission of research product must be submitted to the Research Coordinator.
Recommendations: We advise faculty to limit enrollment to students with at least a 3.0 track GPA and no records of academic misconduct. Faculty can email neurresearch [at] umd.edu ( )with questions.
Credits: The number of credits you enroll for is determined by the number of hours involved.
1 credit = 45 hours 2 credits = 90 hours 3 credits = 135 hours
Meet with your faculty mentor1 (and appointed supervisor) to discuss your learning objectives and course requirements and prepare detailed written answers to the following questions:
- What is the nature of the research project and the specific learning objectives the student will achieve?
- What are the specific responsibilities and how many hours per week will each require?
- How will your faculty mentor assess performance and determine a final grade?
- After you have met with your faculty mentor, visit https://umdsurvey.umd.edu/jfe/form/SV_6FJSexlPVzd05kW to complete the application. The deadline is the fifth day of classes. Late applications will not be accepted.
- When you click submit on the application, a copy of your application content will be emailed to your faculty mentor and the research coordinators. You will also receive an email confirming your submission. Be sure that your mentor is expecting the application email. Your mentor will need to review the application and approve it.
- When we receive the approval email from your faculty mentor and the application has been reviewed by the NEUR Research Coordinator, advising will manually remove the registration block. Give us at least 48 hours from receiving the email to do that. Once the block is lifted, you will receive an email from NEUR advising. You can then log on and register for NEUR379 or NEUR479 under your faculty mentor’s section number. Section numbers can be found on the online application. If you do not register for the course by the end of schedule adjustment you will not be able to enroll for that semester.
If you have any questions, please contact the Research Coordinators, neurresearch [at] umd.edu ()
1A supervisor (e.g., staff, graduate students) may be appointed for daily oversight and training, but the faculty mentor is the instructor of record and is responsible for learning assessments and grade assignment.